Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Portobello, Avocado, and Tomato Sandwich


It's funny how taste buds change with age. I never really cared for avocados as a child, I think probably because of the color coupled with the large pit, and my young palate certainly had no appreciation of its creamy texture. About a year ago I saw some small organic Haas avocados at the market where I shop. They were so beautiful that I decided I just had to bring one of them home for a try. Once in my mouth, my palate was pleasantly surprised by what the small, green fruit offered in both taste and texture, and my affection for Haas avocados has grown since.


Last week, I arrived home from the market with a sack full of gorgeous locally grown tomatoes, some beautiful portobello mushrooms, and a small, ripe Haas avocado. I decided to make the Roasted Portobello Mushroom recipe from Veganomicon and when I saw the serving suggestion at the end of the recipe, (with lettuce, tomato, and avocado on a sandwich), I just had to give it a try.

Although eating it was a bit messy, (fortunately it was photographed mid-assembly), boy did my mouth sing with joy. It was one of those meals that was so incredibly simple and beautiful, reminding me that some of the most satisfying food in the world does not involve a complicated recipe.


No comments: